Re: 599 6 speed manual
From: Adam Green (FlatCrankgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:27:14 -0700 (PDT)
Looks like being great weather.  There's already been some fun racing at Laguna in the "pre-historics."

I would rather go on the Friday and avoid the crowds.  The last couple of years, it seems "Pebble" has become less well patronized.  The free events are crowded, the interesting venues and sideshows around Carmel are crowded like crazy, there's far too many vendors trying to sell new cars right there and then instead of "when in Rome" spending time sharing the history and significance of their marque (Porsche and Ferrari are especially deliberate about their crass selling activities) and it seems like the clique of folks really into the pageantry are a smaller and smaller part of the party.  I remember many years ago feeling a bit out of place for not having a jacket, now it's a football crowd of unkempt beachwear and misbehaved children.  The only thing I wish were gone from the "good old days" are the cliched types who think a crowd of people is a good place to fire up a cigar and puff out clouds of putrid carcinogens all over people and their children, but alas, they're still ever present.

In recent years I've gone back to the old habit of getting to Laguna and downtown Carmel by driving to Capitola with a motorcycle on the back of an SUV, then ride the bike through the traffic and not waste hours parking.  It's also nice to escape the exodus and from Capitola, it's a fun and strangely ignored alternate path to take Soquel instead of grinding over 17.

Adam