Re: 1 52 year-old Ferrari or 100 new ones
From: Adam Green (FlatCrankgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 09:08:08 -0700 (PDT)
Why a hundred cars?  You'd have to go to the Middle East, China or Russia to see the answer.

The same "nothing exceeds like excess" will be seen held high around Pebble and Quail this week(end) but there are still the true enthusiasts.  Whether they're the Q-tip brigade or time travelers living in their imaginary past, or billionaires and humble millionaires with their pristine historically significant cars completely rebuilt except for one rotten wood frame joint, or the guys with just as much money running original and unrestored cars or the hard core oil-sniffers sweating in the paddock at Laguna to run a few laps at a pace slower than a Kia mini-van with a whole soccer team on board,  they're all enjoying motor cars and motor sport in their own way.

Let the collectors, traders and speculators do their thing.  It should be their freedom to choose a damned life wasting money on stacking material objects of greed and envy.  Hopefully some of their fiscal table scraps go to charities and philanthropy.  I don't mean to hold others to a higher standard than I try to achieve of myself and I'm not so altruistic as to expect a sudden overwhelming shift from selfishness and greed to benevolence and caring.

I just wish they'd stick to unimportant paint and canvas, trinkets and baubles.

Adam