Fwd: Re: 1977 Ferrari 308 GTB Vetroresina - Original Paint
From: Gavin (gavinnzxtra.co.nz)
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 18:47:57 -0700 (PDT)

Ducati's of the 1970's were put together in this style....

We call it a "a happy go lucky, parts bin technology" what ever was in the parts bin that day, went on the bikes that day.... and what was in the parts bin could easily depend on which suppliers bills that had, or hadn't, been paid and what supplier provided the parts buyer the best work lunch with the best wine the week before!

Bikes in the same batch, with consecutive frame numbers could have a different spec...

I can't see a small Ferrari factory being much different!

Quote.....

There was a post on tomyang.net years ago where noted Ferrari restorer Francois Sicard (used to work at the factory in Maranello and then NART) had an entry in a concourse and the judges were fussing over the shade of yellow used to mark the suspension components, stating it did not look like the correct yellow Ferrari used. Story is that Francois got very agitated and responded that they sent apprentices to the hardware store for yellow paint when they ran out without a care as to what shade it was. This is from someone who was actually there, and I am sure no QC inspector was at the end of the line making sure the screw heads were in alignment.  I grew up in a restoration shop and when much younger disassembled and worked on many exotic vehicles, and there were many inconsistencies in parts and assembly from new. Especially in Italian and English vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone