Re: Trivial pursuit: Thermistor = oil sending unit
From: Les Thompson (les21ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 11:16:19 -0700 (PDT)
Peter,

Yes, early on in the age of electricity, they were condensors. They date from the late 1700's, the name change was in the 1950's from what I've found. My Dad was a mechanic starting back before electronic ignitions, so grew up referring to them as condensors around cars. Got into electronics in high school, by then they being called capacitors.

Now when I was in junior college, they told us the term for cycles was now Hertz, around 1966/67. Started out in the discrete component era, we did study tubes for a week as a history exercise.

Les T.