Re: Holly cow
From: Charles Perry (charlescarolinasound.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 09:18:12 -0800 (PST)

Brian -

In that vein, what is your experience with the three general “public” price guides? We’ve been shopping for pedestrian-grade cars to replace my wife’s Volvo, and I find that there are huge discrepancies between Edmunds (usually lowest), NADA and KBB, even if you do your best to describe them identically to the three sites.

We’ve found dealers won’t come close to selling for what Edmund’s thinks is fair dealer price. NADA and KBB are usually, but not always, closer to each other but way higher than Edmund’s.

I don’t know what algorithms / true sales / auction results influence each, but I would expect them to be more in consensus than they generally are.

-- charles