Re: Idiots with money
From: Doug & Terri (dntdock.net)
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 21:20:56 -0800 (PST)

Charles notes “I imagine CA is the only other place where you might see them actually bring out the collectibles for running time. Lots of fun!”

Ah yesh – so true so true.  When the Monterey Historics WERE the Monterey Historics there was a lot of fun just walking the pits.  One year Ferrari GTO was the marque.  On one session, there were 20 or so GTO’s out running Laguna Seca raceway.  Now Mazda Raceway.  Or something like that.  But think of it . . . this is a track that SCCA will not let a plebe enter a race until they grow some hair on their, uh, nether regions.  It is a fast and unforgiving track.  But then when I was driving a Porsche 912 there I had time to think between turns if not fiddle about with the radio stations.

So there are Morgan three wheelers and 12 foot high (seemingly) supercharged Bentleys huffing and puffing oil and water.  Those were the kinda cars you wanted to film if:  1) you had a focal plane shutter; and, 2) you could find film.  When the car is at speed the focal plane shutter makes the wheels look like giant water melons.  One year the marque was F1 cars of all ages.  To get a chance to look into Schumacher’s office – damn that thing is narrow.  Imagine sitting upright in bed with your toes just two inches off your forward line of sight.  Dang.

Of course for the most part these are gentleman drivers and the penalty for trading paint let alone stuffing it is more than monetary.  Just tear up your invitation to drive there again for a long long time.

Yeeee ha

Doug