Re: Advice on valuing and selling my 85 308 (Mark)
From: fer308qv (fer308qvaol.com)
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 05:09:16 -0700 (PDT)
Ad Hemmings to that list

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Thursday, May 2, 2019, George <ygpz4re [at] hotmail.com> wrote:

Mark,

I'm in a similar boat with my (Dad's) old Jag (shameless plug: https://120jag.forsale), so let me offer a few thoughts on the subject.

  1. Websites.  Bring-A-Trailer works, but you won't get best price.  You'll just get it sold in 7 days.  Sold my Dad's former E-Type there.   Did ok, buyer did better.  Ebay?  Don't even get me started on the crooks and thieves there (three times now, Dad's former E-Type has shown up on Ebay - and it was *NOT* the BaT buyer selling it!).  So if you want to go with a website, go with something reputable like Hemmings.com.
  2. If you're not an FCA member, join and you can put an ad in the monthly News Bulletin for free.  Possibly your best Ferrari market.
  3. Magazines.  I've heard that Autoweek ads sell cars fairly well.  Also Classic Motorsports (free to subscribers).  Get an ad into Vintage Motorsport magazine quickly enough (for their Jul/Aug issue) and it'll be plastered all over Pebble Beach (I've done this for the Jag, but a business card size ad is not cheap - $245 w/ full color photo - so it's a real *investment* in selling your car!).
  4. Websites redux - best possible scenario (I think) would be simply finding a buyer here or on F-Chat.  Easy-peasy, no fuss-no muss, very low cost - but also possibly greater time investment.
  5. Auction.  I really have no experience, so I'll just offer my personal opinion.  Auctions are designed to drive the price up, but often buyers are hoping for bargains at auctions - depends on the auction company, I suppose.  But this does not come without expenses - you have to get the car there.  Then you have a reserve price (probably - you don't want it selling for $10K!).  If it doesn't meet reserve, you have to get it home and you're back to square one.  That's why we chose BaT for the E - wanted to get it sold and didn't want to fall back to square one.  And I have no idea of auction houses charge any fee just get the car into their next auction??
  6. Value - for the Jag, I used the descriptions and values in the Hagerty valuation tool to arrive at what I believe to be a fair asking price.  Will I get it?  Probably not, but it's not a "pie-in-the-sky" price, either.  I've heard it said that Hagerty has a vested interest in showing high values for cars.  While that may be true in theory, I do not believe for even a second (from my experience with them over the past 6 years, including getting this old Jag repaired from the house fire damage) that they would artificially, insincerely, or illegitimately inflate values for self-serving purposes.  YMMV.
So I guess the question is the calculation of minimizing time spent selling vs. maximizing ROI.  Only you can decide.  For this old Jag, I'm willing to take the time to find just the right buyer who is willing to pay fair price for a great car.

I hope this helps a bit.

Good luck!

gp

From: "Mark" <misc [at] 308systems.com>

Do you guys have any recommendations on how to value the car and how to sell
it?  Auction house, online website, etc?

Thanks!
Mark Lueker