Re: What's wrong with this picture ?
From: Doug & Terri (dntdock.net)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 22:33:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Rick – my garage suffers from a change of residence move 8 years ago and really does deserve attention.  I have done the best I can putting 8 pounds of rice in a 5 pound bag.  Alas.

However the Kalifornia vehicle smog history was easy –

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Vehicle/PubTstQry.aspx

Only fly in the ointment was caused by DMV (that’s a shock) personnel.  Since 1980 they got used to a long VIN and as in my case for our 1978 they insisted a 5 digit VIN just wasn’t long enough.  So in 1994 poking about and spying the a group of letter and number stuff under the engine bonnet on the frame rail they got happy.  Using the engine nomenclature number and Spider designation before it and ignoring the stars before and after the real 5 digit VIN my vehicle was tattooed =  F106ASxxxxx.

So if you are shopping for a pre-80’s Kalifornia vehicle, want to see smog history, and don’t have the license plate – add the engine nomenclature and see what you get.

PS – in Kalifornia the SELLER is responsible for supplying the buyer with a passing emission certificate which is good for 90 days from date of issue.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

Being the ever so untrusting person I am – I’d be happy to pay $50 bucks during a PPI and WATCH the emission test done AGAIN.  Ahhh-mazing how little emissions are put out when the smog probe is inserted up a Lexus tail pipe.

[pant pant] now let’s hit that garage Rick – it sure needs it.

Thanks

DOUG