Re: Franco Gozzi's book: Imola 1982 Villeneuve vs Pironi + 6-wheel Ferrari
From: Luke Graves (buyer1airmail.net)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 15:24:45 -0800 (PST)
They were all afraid of burning.  Additionally, there wasn't any nomex or carbon fiber back then and everything was tubular frame, which in a serious crash would crush in and spear the driver and fuel tank.  Having seen  a car go up in a high octane fire (really intense heat), if I were driving back then, I don't think that I would wear a belt.  Moss would have suffered much less injury if he were strapped in, however, if he were, and the car caught fire, he would have been a goner.