Re: So someone out there tell me what’s so special about these cars.......
From: Jeff Kennedy (jkennedy.designgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 14:52:41 -0800 (PST)
Not all those GTO events were in Europe.  A few years back they did Napa/Sonoma.

I remember when one of the GTOs was purchased for $45,000 then sold for $120,000 or so in cash.

There was a point when the owner of 4091GT could decide if he was selling it or 5909LM (250 LM).  Actually sold the GTO and the car was on the transporter to the new owner - he found the driver and had him U-turn.  Instead sold the LM that he had paid $70,000 for.

I remember when the GTOs crossed $1 mil then kept going up as the Japanese got into the market.

To me, in many ways the GTO is what had been the Duesenberg market in the late 1960 and into the 1970s - the "players" needed to have at least one.  It was the trophy car.