Re: *****SPAM***** Re: Ferrari Digest, Vol 173, Issue 19
From: Erik Nielsen (judge4regmail.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2020 12:45:08 -0800 (PST)
Great story!

On Dec 8, 2020, at 12:00 PM, Luke Graves <buyer1 [at] airmail.net> wrote:

Had a '60 XK-150 and a '63 XKE.  Ordered the XK while in Iceland.  They didn't have any car dealerships there at the time, so, one went to a store and ordered one from a book.  Got it $400 cheaper than had I Ordered it from Coventry.  It was delivered to Momo's in NYC.  Three weeks before I was to fly back to the US, the Cuban Missile Crisis hit.  After 2 weeks of sitting alert in a T-33 (with orders to ram) I was ordered to proceed immediately to my new assignment at Hamilton AFB in the Bay area with no leave allowed.  As I was processing out I was wondering what the hell to do about my car an old NCO saved my ass by informing me that I still got 15 days travel time.  When I finally showed up at Momos it was Where in the Hell have you been?  I implied we were in a National Crisis, they said (being Ferrari Guys) here take this piece of s*** and get out of here no charge!  I drove straight though to Chicago and stayed with friends for a night and then straight through to Hamilton.  Everybody there had been on Nuke alert (32 aircraft on 15 min alert loaded with MB-1s)  So, here I came rolling in in my new Jag!  In unison my Squadron CC and Wing CC said Where in the Hell have you been??  I tried to explain myself to not much avail.  They said, well, then get your ass on alert.  After several yess sirs, the Ops Officer said that we have to give him one ride in the F-101B to get him current and to do so we will have to download the Nukes on one aircraft.  After that sunk in, things got a little tense.  My Wing CC had to go to the Division CC to go to CINC NORAD to get permission to take a bird off alert and down load the Nukes.  This all had to be explained to the CINC and of course the CINC asked Where in the world has he been!  Rarely does a new Captain get that kind of visibility.  So, I took off on a beautiful day in the Bay area and was about the only aircraft in the sky.  For the next few years, every time I came across some of these Senior Officers, they would look at me and say "oh yea, you are the one with the Jag!!!

I drove it for 3 years in beautiful Northern California and then sold it to a Grad Student at Stanford for 2k more than I paid for it.  So, that's my Jag story!

Luke