Re: 1988 Ferrari Testarossa | eBay
From: Peter Rychel (dino308gt4hotmail.com)
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 21:10:28 -0800 (PST)

Good one Doug (as usual)! Weren’t the carbs feedback type?

My first car was a 1998 Plymouth Colt, which were really Mitsubishis, made in Japan and rebadged with the Mopar insignia. Mine was the 1.5L OHC and it had the feedback carb – midrange model – The fancy edition was the 1.6 with multipoint fuel injection (oohh, ahhh).

That car ran great for 9 years, always passing our smog tests (rolling road dyno, at slow and high speeds, plus an idle test) until the tenth year when the readings went through the roof. I knew it was going to fail because I could smell it, but took my chance anyways. Tried diagnosing it to no avail. So, I figured it must be the carb. I took the whole thing apart...

Wow, more complex than if it were fuel injected! Actually, there was a mini fuel injector inside the carb. It was to deliver the proper metered amount of fuel to keep it running at stochiometric as possible. The idle jet, main jet and accelerator pump jet were there to provide the bulk of fueling requirements. The fuel injector had it’s own ECU and ran on inputs from temp sensor and O2 sensor. The injector could actually come apart and was quite soiled with debris at the tip (never seated as it was blocked open - so running full rich. Duh. I think I hit as high as 7% CO on my test results!). I thoroughly cleaned everything and put it back together. The car sailed through testing after that.

I remember it being mentioned here before about particular Ferraris for sale at auctions with disclaimers that it could not be sold or titled in California and it’s probably for the exact same reasons you stated.

Thankfully, our smog test stations were shut down in 2015. They were losing revenue as new cars weren’t failing – see, if it fails, you have to have it retested and pay the same amount. If it fails again, retest and keep on paying... When first introduced in the early ‘90s, it was a great cash cow, but as cars got better and cleaner...

The Colt feedback carb separated into it’s three major parts (L-R: Throttle plate assembly, float bowl/jet/injector body, top w. choke assembly):

Peter

Sent from Mail for Windows 10