Re: Another gas story
From: Rick Moseley (ramoselpacbell.net)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 08:40:25 -0700 (PDT)
Doug,
You guessed it.   We always tried to run Sunoco fuel in the TransAM cars (110).   It was purple and leaded.  If you got the same fuel (or as close as you could get it without lead, it was a different color (IIRC clear/colorless).   Ted built/tuned/tweaked the motors around Sunoco 110 and that's where they were happy.

If we couldn't get Sunoco, it was VP.  Same thing with VP, if it was 110/leaded it used to be blue...  but after much pressure from racing bodies they switched to purple too.  They didn't want to because they were already using purple for their 127+ avgas.   Their 110 unleaded was no color.

I asked the VP guy at the track what the volatility was on the 127+ and he didn't know.  But he had some on his rig.  He poured a couple of ounces in his coffee cup and through it up in the air.   Nothing hit the ground.  Turned his cup upside down and not a single drop.

Cool story about Monsieur Houdry, Thanks.   I'd heard the story a few times over the years (recently from Bud Anderson) but never heard the name behind it.

Anthony, Cat shot?   hard to say...  the French always wear brown pants.

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuels/compare-fuels
https://vpracingfuels.com/master-fuel-tables/