Re: Civilian Astronaut
From: Anthony Bauco (tbaucogmail.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 04:40:45 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, that is true and it is why it takes a special person to be willing to take that risk.  The first time I saw a Mercury capsule up close I was amazed.  It takes some major balls to be shot into space in that corrugated tin can!

Ultimately, a couple of things are true.  First, we all die and our lives are but a snap of the fingers, cosmically speaking.  Second, control is an illusion.  How much control does a pilot really have at Mach 2?  You are just as much at the mercy of the engineers that designed the machine as these people are.  The emergency abort on Dragon is probably safer than ejecting at Mach 2.  Remember, this is the team that figured out how to land a rocket on a floating helicopter pad in the ocean.  Infallible?  No.  But pretty damn good!