Re: Question on car fire extinguishers
From: Rick Moseley (ramoselpacbell.net)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 07:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
I only know this because my nearest neighbor (semi retired) works for his son-in-law who owns a fire prevention business.   I've done no research.  I am surprised they require foam.  Foam is supposed to be good on Class A (wood, upholstery) and Class B fires  (petrols, plastics, paint) but are not recommended for Class C  (gasses -propane, natural)  Powders are good on Class A, B & C fires.   Since foam is water based, it also cools and seeps into everything smothering the smallest embers.   Powders crust over to smother a fire but does not cool.  Both are good on electrical fires and foam is also dielectric.   California being a nanny state, it's hard to get foam here, because the foams are known to be extremely carcinogenic.

I still keep Halon in all the cars, I get them refilled in Nevada.